This week’s Pacey Performance Podcast sees Rob joined by Matt Allen, the Head of Academy Physical Development at Tottenham Hotspur. Matt has been at Spurs for 11 years now, after initially working his way up as a student intern at Nottingham Forest and Norwich City. From this experience, he shares how he managed to bridge that gap between student life and a professional sports environment.
Matt isn’t just here to reminisce, however. Throughout this week’s interview he shares some excellent knowledge about how to coach young athletes. This includes not only the techniques and drills that can turn a promising young footballer into a world beater, but also the emotional intelligence a coach will require to deal with both precocious young talent and demanding parents!
As a UKSCA-accredited Strength and Conditioning coach with multiple degrees and qualifications to his name, Matt’s advice on coaching football at the top level is too good to miss. To learn more about his experiences at the top of the football pyramid, the training sessions that will push young athletes to excel, and advice for younger coaches wanting to get into football, hit the play button now.
This week’s podcast topics:
- How Matt’s internship bridged the gap between student and professional life
- Training techniques that span across the age groups
- How to coach a tall athlete who isn’t necessarily physical in playing style
- Managing periods of rapid growth, and when to alter things
- Emotional Intelligence when dealing with young athlete’s parents
- Linking training sessions together as an academy coach
- Strength sessions vs power sessions
- Speed training in youth athletes
- Advice for younger coaches wanting to get into football
- Insight into how to develop young players – and nurture the right attitude