Its episode 300… What an incredible journey it has been over the last 6 and half years. I have had the privilege to speak to so many great practitioners, scientists and coaches, and episode 300 is no different. Today I am speaking to Head Coach at England Rugby, Eddie Jones, and Head of Strength & Conditioning at England Rugby, Jon Clarke. Eddie has been Head Coach of the England Rugby national team since 2015 having previously coached Australia to the 2003 Rugby World Cup final. Jon is a former professional rugby league players having represented Wigan Warriors, London Broncos, Warrington Wolves and Widnes Vikings before moving into strength and conditioning with Warrington and now with England. I am absolutely honoured to get both these guys on for episode 300. All I will say is that this episode does not disappoint.
I hope you enjoy this episode with Eddie Jones and Jon Clarke.
In this episode we discussed…
- Who are Eddie Jones and Jon Clarke (background, education and current role)?
- Transitions into coaching
- Teaching to coaching (Eddie) and playing to coaching (Jon)
- Passion for coaching
- What makes a good S&C coach?
- What you expect
- Character and personality
- Communication across departments
- Tactical periodisation
- What does this mean to you both?
- How it affects the physical preparation approach
- Specificity over generalised approach
- Influences outside of rugby and how it affects the performance environment
- Fitting new ideas into your programme
- Thinking outside your immediate circle
Keep up to date with everything that is going on with the podcast by following on Twitter @strengthofsci or visiting the links below.
To subscribe to the Pacey Performance Podcast, please use the links below:
…Or listen below