In this episode of the Pacey Performance Podcast, I am speaking to Sports Performance Scientist, Robin Thorpe. Robin spent the best part of a decade at the biggest football club in the world. Whilst there he worked under one of, if not the most decorated managers of all time. He also worked with some of the most recognisable players in the world. How could this not be an incredible episode, and it absolutely was. So good that we had to split it over two episodes, this being the first one. As well as talking about his time at Manchester United, we also talked about what he has become world-renowned for and that’s recovery and regeneration. Give yourself an hour and sit back and enjoy!
In this episode, we discussed…
- Who is Robin Thorpe (background, experience and current roles)?
- Time at Manchester United
- Interview with Sir Alex Ferguson
- First role
- Leadership under some of the biggest managers in the world
- Athlete recovery
- Enhancing recovery in a congested fixture list
- Integrating player monitoring
- Academia vs applied practitioner and the importance of ‘science’ as a sports scientist
Robin can be found on Twitter @DrRobinThorpe
Keep up to date with everything that is going on with the podcast by following on Twitter @strengthofsci or visiting the links below.
To subscribe to the Pacey Performance Podcast, please use the links below:
…Or listen below