We have double the expertise on this week’s Pacey Performance Podcast, as Rob is joined by Jonas Dodoo and Alan Murdoch. Jonas is Director of Speedworks Training and Head Coach at Loughborough University, and has international pedigree coaching Olympians and Paralympians such as Daryll Nieta, Greg Rutherford and Olivia Breen with British Athletics. Alan is Head Coach at Speedworks, and until recently was Strength and Conditioning Coach at Bath Rugby.
On the podcast, they discuss what first led to them working together and the skills and techniques they’ve learned during the course of their professional partnership. This includes how they’ve pooled their collective knowledge by linking the often separate coaching worlds of rehabilitation and speed, and how speed training can influence a coach’s decision-making when bringing an athlete back to fitness. Alan shares his knowledge of how this can be done, including some invaluable examples.
The duo also goes into some excellent deep dives into exercise selection, shin roll, ACL rehab, and why they actively avoid bad psychology in any group of athletes they coach. With a large 40-hour project coming up this summer, this week’s podcast is the place to get up to speed with what Jonas and Alan are achieving and how it could influence your own coaching regime in the near future.
- How Jonas and Alan first started working together
- What they’ve learned by pooling their collective knowledge
- The transition from professional sports coaching to consultancy
- How they’ve amalgamated the two worlds of rehab and speed training
- Why speed training can influence decision making during athlete rehabilitation
- The ‘bum before back’ technique and making strength training more efficient
- Examples of how to integrate speed training into rehab
- The importance of correct exercise selection
- Shin roll, and why it is now such a big talking point for leading coaches
- The power of psychology, and avoiding harmful cliques developing in groups of athletes
Keep up to date with everything that is going on with the podcast by following on Twitter @strengthofsci or visiting the links below.
To subscribe to the Pacey Performance Podcast, please use the links below:
…Or listen below